WTRL TTT Information & Rules
Welcome to the most addictive, fun but yet brutal form of racing on Zwift! Not only do you get to race with your teammates for the fastest possible time, but you have to work and suffer together to achieve this.
For over 100 consecutive weeks, the WTRL TTT has been the most popular community racing event, attracting racers of all ages, nationalities and ability. From elite world champion triathletes, cyclists and rowers to the everyday Zwifter looking to keep fit with their team mates. We even have some avid hand cyclists!
Whether you are looking for a fast-paced TTT, chasing course records or battling to be in the top 11 to go for Platinum League glory, there is something for everyone.
Some elements of the WTRL Team Time Trial have some additional requirements such as the annual WTRL TTT World Cup.
Click on the Black & Gold headers below to read more about each aspect of our competition.
Scroll through the history of the WTRL Team Time Trial
April 18th, 2019
After much testing, the very first WTRL TTT takes place with 7 teams.
Results and information are provisioned through Excel and PowerPoint images via Social Media.
April 26, 2019
Our domain (www.WTRL.racing) is registered and gradually becomes the home for the WTRL TTT with team registration, start delays and results all available online.
WTRL begin experimenting with and fine tuning our unique Coffee Class system. Lots of ideas, from points based on rider ability through to different mixes of Zwift rider categories are trialled.
The '3/5' ('2/1' for teams of 3) is proven to work exceptionally well and is still in use today.
This was also the birthday of AutoCat (ACE) - WTRL's proprietry rider categorization and matchmaking system.
December 24, 2019
During our first year of the WTRL Team Time Trial, there were no Christmas or New Year Specials.
The WTRL TTT breaks for 2 weeks for the festive season, resuming on 9th Jan 2020.
January 16th, 2020
The first time more than 100 teams take part in the WTRL TTT - #39.
March 12th, 2020
With much of the world now in COVID lockdown, the WTRL attracts thousands of people every week.
Grand Tour professional cyclists, World Champion Triathletes, and Olympic medalists right through to those looking to seek virtual company at home while they race the WTRL Team Time Trial.
WTRL begin working with the European Triathlon Union and British Cycling to create leagues for their members with the WTRL Team Time trial.
April 16th, 2020
Zwift Community Live begin broadcasting the WTRL TTT from #on a weekly basis.
All broadcasted data graphics and assets come from WTRL not only for the WTRL TTT but for various other races and competitions that ZCL broadcast.
April 21st, 2020
www.WTRL.racing moves to fully fledged significantly higher powered multi core Google servers.
April 23rd, 2020
The WTRL TTT Platinum League launches to provide Zwift Community Live with a pinnacle end of the WTRL Team Time Trial. The Platinum League features the best available teams, from around the world, competing together.
May 22nd, 2020
WTRL provides event management, results and scoring to The Virtual Tour of the Gila which includes a TTT element.
June 2nd, 2020
After much hesitation, WTRL launches a GoFundMe page. Up to this point the WTRL TTT has been funded out of the pockets of its developers. The response is overwhelming and WTRL is able to substantially improve its systems speed and reliability.
June 11th, 2020
Zwift HQ enter their first team (ZHQ Rockets) into the WTRL TTT. The WTRL TTT becomes a firm favourite amongst staff and is even used for team building.
July 3rd, 2020
Zwift approach WTRL about creating what becomes known as Zwift Racing League (ZRL). Under contract, the first season of ZRL kicks off in October 2020 featuring 5x Team Time Trials in our tried, tested and successful format and 5x Points Races. WTRL incorporates as a fully fledged business in the Province of Alberta, Canada in order to fulfill the Zwift contract.
July 24th, 2020
WTRL support Aeonians with the Tour de Boudicca providing a Team Time Trial for Stage 1.
October 22nd, 2020
RacePass is introduced as a means to identify riders to teams and ends the use of the "Team Tag" system. Loan/rogue/riders not in a team can no longer access Team Time Trial race events.
November 26, 2020
WTRL host the 1st Annual WTRL TTT World Tournament (#84) with prizes courtesy of a new kit sponsor (NoPinz) and medals from WTRL available to the fastest teams in each Coffee Class.
December 5th, 2020
In support of the first ever UCI CYCLING ESPORT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS on Zwift, WTRL create the ZWIFT Nations Challenge - a mass TTT of hundreds of riders per race with the sole aim of setting the fastest time in their dedicated country's event.
December 17th, 2020
WTRL teams up with World Bicycle Relief and the former WBR team - 3R and raises over US$60K in a special WTRL TTT event to help mobilize people in the world with bicycles.
February 11th, 2021
By WTRL TTT #94, the number of teams participating in the WTRL TTT each week, surpasses 1,000.
December 9th, 2021
WTRL teams up with World Bicycle Relief once again in a special WTRL TTT (#138) event. Both Saris and Cuore agree to each make US$10K contributions.
The total raised exceeds US$100K.
February 11th, 2021
WTRL celebrates 100 WTRL TTTs on Zwift's Out & Back Again course
WTRL's RacePass system gains the ability to sign riders directly to the pen.
WTRL host the 2nd Annual WTRL TTT World Tournament (#149) with prizes courtesy of VeloMats and medals available to the fastest teams in each Coffee Class.
August 18th, 2022
- Zwift begin building a dedicated WTRL TTT and ZRL TTT start system in January 2022.
- 4 months later, WTRL begin testing the TTT Start System and build a full proprietary registration and management system to enable its use.
- The full system launches on August 18th 2022 and also includes full drafting dynamics for TT Bikes when used in WTRL TTTs offering an entirely new means to race.
- Check out the ZwiftInsider preview.
September 6, 2022
WTRL complete the aquisition of Zwift GPS and begin to set their minds at work to open up a brand new gaming experience to accompany Zwift riding and racing.
September 16, 2022
PERC Coffee partners with WTRL as the official coffee brand of WTRL (something we drink a lot of with all our late nights!).
"For PERC, coffee and cycling are both all about connecting people. We’re super excited to partner with WTRL and can’t wait to share the good stuff with you!"
WTRL TTT Specific
- DS Specific sign up. currently disabled - fix in progress
- Riders joining an event, immediately after riding with a Pace Partner (and occasionally Meetups etc), appear to face the wrong way in the paddock. Investigating - temporary solution: Quit out of the game when riding with a Pace Partner and restart.
Every Rider must:
- Have a WTRL Profile which enables you to view exclusive member content such as results as well as join WTRL TTT events.
- 'Opt-In' to share your data with ZwiftPower and 3rd Parties via your Zwift Profile Connections.
- Join your team and sign-up for the race using your teams unique RacePass.
- Use a Power Meter (i.e. trainer or bike mounted) - no more than 40% of your teams riders can be power-meter-less (ZPower).
- Heart Rate Monitors (HRMs) are advisable but not compulsory.
- Teams can consist of 3 to 8 members.
- WTRL encourages teams of mixed Zwift category riders.
- Mixed Gender and Women's Only (Vienna) categories.
- Up until WTRL TTT #207, Zwiftpower Categories were used.
- From WTRL TTT #207 (6th April), the WTRL TTT will use Zwift's category system as per Zwift Category Enforcement.
- Use the WTRL TTT Coffee Class grid image to work out your Coffee Class.
- If the team that races on the day works out to be above or below, WTRL automatically re-classify the teams Coffee Class in the results.
- There are no DQs for changes in Coffee Classes or categories.
- Teams MUST preregister with WTRL for their chosen Coffee Class and start time/slot.
- Registration for the proceeding weeks' WTRL TTT is available as soon the current weeks WTRL TTT has completed and the Zwift events have regenerated.
- Registration remains open for each physical Zwift event until 30 minutes before a Time Slot starts.
- Determine your teams Coffee Class and register from the WTRL TTT Event page.
- Whoever Registers the team will be the owner/manager and has immediate access to WTRL Team Time Trial Team Management.
- Click on the Team Name on the Team Management page to see your registration details and a list of Team Riders.
- Share the team's unique RacePass with the riders that will be on your team by clicking the RacePass logo to copy it to your clipboard. You can then paste it to your chosen communication method (email, Discord etc).
- RacePass is WTRL's unique system that forms part of AutoCat
- RacePasses can be obtained from Team Management by clicking the RacePass logo. The RacePass is then copied to your devices clipboard whereit can be pasted to your chosen means to share with your Team Members.
- When a team member clicks a RacePass, they are validated to any competition specifications through AutoCat, primed as part of the team for results and are automatically signed up in the correct Zone, paddock and to the correct start time.
- Prior to the introduction of our Team Management system, it could be quite difficult to determine who was on your team - especially during the tagging system era.
- Team Management gives everyone in the team an at--glance view of the team's registration details, signed-up riders and some of their stats and the abillity to edit or delete both the team and riders.
- To access your team's details and control, click on the team's name to expand the section.
- You will see the Coffee Class, Zone and paddock that your team is registered in as well as your start time and a Row Number.
- Team Management TEAM BUTTONS.
- The team's registartion information can be edited by pressing the BLUE pensil button.
- The team's registartion can be deleted by pressing the RED trash button.
- By clicking the YELLOW email button, a prefilled email will appear that contains much of the important information we need to locate your details when contacting us.
- The Zwift and ZwiftPower buttons link directly to the Zone on those sites.
- Riders are listed underneath
- By clicking the riders name, you can reach their ZwiftPower profile.
- Also shown is the riders current Zwift Rider Category, the paddock they are signed up to as well as at least 2 buttons:
- The RED button will rmeove the rider from the team and sign them off.
- The BLUE BUTTON will designate them as a Director Sportif (DS) and will move them OFF of the start grid with their team, to the back of the paddock where they will not be able to move.
- Riders may use ANY equipment available from their garage. There are no restrictions on the use of bikes, wheels, sunglasses or socks.
- You may find it advantageous for your whole team to wear the same kit but this is not a requirement.
- ALL bikes give and receive draft to and from surrounding riders - including TT bikes.
- For flat courses, TT Bikes may provide the fastest option and road bikes may be better suited for rolling or hilly circuits. You may even find bike swaps are advantageous on some courses (think Out & Back Again).
- Introduced from WTRL TTT #55 onwards allowing the top 11 teams per Coffee Class to compete in a TTT Show down broadcasted on Zwift Community Live.
- The TOP 15 from EACH Coffee Class will be invited to take part in the Platinum League the following week.
- Platinum League invites are issued by email at 6pm UTC on Saturdays. Click the RSVP link to in the email to let us know if you are joining.
- The Platinum League is usually broadcasted live on Zwift Community Live where each week different Coffee Classes are the focus and you have the opportunity to feature your team live, with webcams, on the show. Refer to your invite emails for more details.
- The MINIMUM team size for a Platinum League team is 4 riders and time is taken from the 4th rider.
- Teams do not select their starting time for Platinum League. Teams are released in the REVERSE finishing order from the previous week 1 minute apart.
The WTRL TTT World Cup usually has prizes and an annual recognition system on offer to Coffee Class winners. As a result, some basic verification is carried out for each Coffee Class winning team:
- All WINNING Coffee Class teams must submit both a height and weight video for each rider to WTRL within 24 hours of competition completion (end of the last Zone in the competition). Details on how to do this can be found here: WTRL Support - Weight Verification. Videos should not be submitted until AFTER competition completion as we only require verification from winning teams.
- All WINNING Espresso Vienna, Espresso and Doppio Coffee Class teams must also provide dual power recordings for each rider during their race. Details on how to do this can be found here: WTRL Support - Dual Power Recording. You will need a WTRL Profile connected to a free or premium Strava account. These is no requirement from WTRL to upload your dual recording files to ZwiftPower.
- Providing Time Splits began in WTRL TTT #52 - Course Records started from the very beginning.
WTRL TTT IMAGE
Through the course of 2022 and starting in January. WTRL has worked with Zwift to create a proper TTT Start System and consequently developed all the software required to be able to operate the complex nature of getting teams into events, starting at the right time, signing off and moving riders when registrations are edited etc.
The new Start System goes live across all WTRL Team Time Trial events on August 18th.
- A start time slot is selected at registration.
- Riders must join the pen before their chosen Start Time (these always show in the riders local time on our website.
- Upon joining the paddock, each team member is placed on the same row
- Team members are gradually moved along the conveyor system towards the start banner as each team is released.
- There is a count down on the banner for each team's departure time and the count down at the top of your chat window always counts down to your teams start time.
- When you reach the front of the gris, a series of beeps will start counting down when there is 10 seconds remaining.
- When the beeps complete and the timer hits 0:00, your whole team will be released on to the course.
WTRL TTT start system video
Drafting from riders other than your own TTT team is strictly prohibited. When a team passes another team BOTH teams are expected to change their riding styles.
- The Team being passed is expected to ease off on their power/speed once they know they are being overtaken. Do not fight them as they have made up a significant time difference to catch you up.
- The Team making the pass is expected to significantly increase their power as soon as they are near or in the draft of the team they are overtaking and maintain this power to create a significant lead. Remember teams are watching whats in front and not necessarily behind them. A friendly on-screen message of 'team approaching' can help.
WTRL TTT IMAGE
Although incredibly rare, WTRL reserves the right as the Team Time Trial organiser, to remove or disqualify any rider or team for unsporting conduct.
The following are considered unsporting and represent the very few ways you or your team can be disqualified from the WTRL TTT.
- Drafting with another team other than your own.
- Interfering with another team.
- Utilizing eBikes or manipulating the game in anyway to your advantage.
- Waiting at any point on a circuit involving laps for your team to come back around again and rejoining them.
- Waiting at the foot of climbs to rejoin your team and give your team a boost the 2nd or 3rd time around.
- Waiting at the starting pens to rejoin your team on the 2nd or 3rd lap etc.
- Rejoining your team following technical difficulties at any point.
- Each team's results time is taken from either:
- 4th rider crossing the finish line for teams of 5 to 8 riders.
- 3rd rider crossing the finish line for teams of 3 and 4 racers
- Teams of 2 will see an unclassified result.
- Teams of more than 8 are disqualified.
- Results are published on this website within a minute of each team finishing.
- Reuslts can be filtered to view every participating teams' ranked results (default), by coffee class and also by Zone. Some organizations (British Armed Forces, European Triathlon, British Cycling) have their own filters for their own competitions within the overall WTRL TTT.
- Results include 3x split times for each team, final times and by clicking the + icon, you can view each of the riders too.
- As per the real world, technical issues can occur while racing on Zwift. Should anything happen to you as an individual, please reach out to WTRL and we will do all that we can in a fair manner to help.
Your registration is complete. All details, including your teams RacePass will be available from Team Management.